Governor Nelson State Park (Middleton, WI) 1/52
- Very well-maintained, mown grass trail with tall prairie grasses and trees on either side.
- Huge white oak trees -- towering and beautiful.
- Monarch butterflies enjoying the milkweed and the summer sunshine.
- Herpetology tour: spotted this morning were (1) a huge and wonderfully showoffy frog (once you could see him -- the camouflage is amazing) in a shady and wet margin of the trail and (2) a dark ~12” (probably) garter snake that beat a hasty retreat into the grass.
- Even sunny portions of the trail were dew-damp at midmorning, and several parts of the trail were sunk in mud and puddles: shoes fully soaked.
- Midges? Something small and bitey, anyway.